Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment. Civil engineers design, build and maintain public works like buildings, dams and bridges. Civil engineering graduates also are responsible for transportation works like airports and highways. They need to have a wide range of scientific knowledge and a deep understanding of construction materials in order to excel in their career.
- Graduates will be prepared with a solid foundation in mathematics, sciences, and technical skills needed to analyze and design civil infrastructure systems.
- Graduates will possess strong written and oral communication skills.
- Graduates will be familiar with current and emerging civil engineering and global issues, and have an understanding of ethical and societal responsibilities.
- Graduates will have the ability to obtain professional licensure, and will recognize the need for engaging in life-long learning.
- Graduates will have the necessary qualifications for employment in civil engineering and related professions, for entry into advanced studies, and for assuming eventual leadership roles in their profession.