The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC) scheme is an initiative of National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi. The mission of IEDC scheme is to “Develop institutional mechanism to create entrepreneurial culture in academic institutions to foster growth of innovation and entrepreneurship amongst the faculty and students”.
The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC) of Focus Institute of Science and Technology goes by the name Empresario. Empresario has been actively involved in organising various workshops and programmes for developing entrepreneurial skills in students. Entrepreneurs and businesses begin with a need. After recognising the need entrepreneurs come up with a solution which is constantly innovated to meet the ever changing necessities of the society. Empresario aims to provide some basic skills in idea development, business planning and marketing which are necessary for students to become successful entrepreneurs.
Objectives and Functions
- To instil an entrepreneurial culture in students and channelize their energy towards development of marketable products.
- To encourage and support students to develop and commercialize their innovative ideas.
- To organize technical workshops with active participation of successful members industry and alumni to help students understand the changing trends in engineering field.
- To provide the lab facilities and technical know-how for the conversion of innovative ideas to prototypes.
- To arrange interactive sessions with entrepreneurs, professionals, prospective customers and familiarise the student innovators with marketing aspects.
- Workshop on development of energy efficient LED lamps
A workshop on development of energy efficient LED lamps was conducted by Dr. Broose Muricken (Managing Director, LUMIN Electronics & Instruments, Pvt. Ltd.). All staff members and student members of IEDC participated in the workshop.
- Workshop on promotion of use of eco friendly products
On 25/03/2017, a workshop was conducted on paper bag making at the NSS Special Camp Site of FOCUS Institute of Science & Technology, Poomala. The objectives of the workshop were to promote the use of eco friendly products and popularise the use of eco friendly paper products instead of non biodegradable plastic products. The workshop was conducted by Ms. Lima, an entrepreneur. 20 students were trained to make paper bags at low cost who in turn demonstrated it to other NSS members and members of Kudumbasree Unit, Poomala. The paper bags that were manufactured were delivered to nearby houses.
- Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp
An entrepreneurship awareness camp was conducted by Mr. Shivan Ambhat (Associate Faculty, Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India) and Mr. Shibin Mohammed (Assistant Faculty, EDII) for 65 students on 30/03/2017. Students got a chance to interact with these personalities.
- Two day workshop on android application development for beginners
The Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Development Centre, Empresario, of FIST,Poomala organised a 2 day workshop on Android Application Development on 21/04/2017 and 22/04/2017. The aim of the workshop was to provide the students with some basic skills in application development. The workshop was conducted by Mr.Sinil, an experienced developer and programmer, from Edushetra. A total of 30 students participated in the workshop. The workshop was divided into 2 sections. In the first session the theoretical aspects of application development were explained and the second session was a hands-on session. In the latter the students were divided into 5 groups of 6 students each. The basics of application development like designing simple apps with buttons were explained through the practical session. With this basic idea on app development the ideas put forward by students could be realised.
- Mr. Rahul M.S. – Nodal Officer
Assistant Professor, ME department
- Ms. Sameena Khalid – Assistant Nodal Officer/ Chief Financial Officer
Assistant Professor, CE department
- Mr. Abhishek Gopinath M. – Student Convener
Paper Bag Making for Students &Kudumbasree Members [at NSS Special Camp]
Paper Bag Making for Faculties [at College]
IEDC Inauguration & EDII Workshop